How It Works
Upon successful completion of the course you will:
1. Understand the elements of fiction writing and how they interact.
2. Understand the different forms and structures of fiction writing and which best fits a given story idea.
3. Create a relatable and engaging protagonist for a story and engage your character in a challenging and high stakes story situation.
4. Be able to create a comprehensive outline for your story that can guide the writing process to completion.
6. Know how to research markets and create a marketing plan for submission and ultimate publication of your completed work.
1. To learn the basic elements of fiction writing (character, plot, setting and conflict) and how they interact to form an engaging story.
2. To learn how to craft relatable characters, and place them in interesting situations.
3. To understand the difference between fiction forms and structures, and which is most suited to a given project.
4. To experiment with settings and plot structures in the most effective way to tell a particular story.
5. To plan and outline a fiction writing project from conception to completion.
6. To research appropriate markets for the story and create a marketing plan.
About Online Learning
Online learning is a fun, enjoyable and very productive way to learn. Millions of people are learning online each year. You will engage with the instructor and other participants. You will get to know your instructor and other participants. You may make friends. It's easy. It's fun.
How the Course Works
It is easy to participate in your online course. After you register, you will be given a web address to go to get into your online classroom. You will have a password and use your email address and password to gain access. Once inside the online classroom, here's what you can expect.
What You Will Do
For each Unit, you will:
- Access the online readings
- Listen to the audio presentation for the Unit and view the slides
- Take a self-quiz to see how much you have learned
- Engage in written online discussion with your instructor and other participants
For best learning, you should make one or more comments at 2-3 different times each day.
The content (readings, audio lectures, slides) and self-quizzes are accessible for the entire course, so you can work ahead, or go back and review again, at your convenience.
Participate When You Want
You can participate any time of day or evening. The online classroom is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are no live real-time requirements or meetings. You decide when you participate.
For the best learning, participants should log into the course on 2-3 different days of the week.
The Discussion for each Unit lasts one week. All comments are made in writing and can be made at any time of the day or night.
Your instructor will log into the Discussion area at least once a day and answer questions, make comments, and respond to comments by you and the other participants.
We encourage you to make 2-3 comments each day to maximize your learning and enjoyment of the course.