How It Works
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
1. Know about the important brain development activities that occur during adolescence
2. Become aware of how brain development in teens impacts behavior
3. Employ developmentally appropriate and compassionate responses to adolescent behavior
4. Learn how to support and engage adolescents in ways that are appropriate for their developmental level
1. Describe and discuss with other students the key developmental brain activities that occur during adolescence in the online discussion forum and describe at least three major changes that occur during adolescent brain development.
2. Identify behaviors that characterize teen behavior as relates to mood, risk-taking, and decision making and describe these to class participants in the online discussion forum.
3. Develop skills in communicating effectively with adolescents and identify three key strategies that result in positive interactions. Students will share examples of effective strategies with other class participants in the online discussion forum.
About Online Learning
Online learning is a fun, enjoyable and very productive way to learn. Millions of people are learning online each year. You will engage with the instructor and other participants. You will get to know your instructor and other participants. You may make friends. It's easy. It's fun.
How the Course Works
It is easy to participate in your online course. After you register, you will be given a web address to go to get into your online classroom. You will have a password and use your email address and password to gain access. Once inside the online classroom, here's what you can expect.
What You Will Do
For each Unit, you will:
- Access the online readings
- Listen to the audio presentation for the Unit and view the slides
- Take a self-quiz to see how much you have learned
- Engage in written online discussion with your instructor and other participants
For best learning, you should make one or more comments at 2-3 different times each day.
The content (readings, audio lectures, slides) and self-quizzes are accessible for the entire course, so you can work ahead, or go back and review again, at your convenience.
Participate When You Want
You can participate any time of day or evening. The online classroom is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are no live real-time requirements or meetings. You decide when you participate.
For the best learning, participants should log into the course on 2-3 different days of the week.
The Discussion for each Unit lasts one week. All comments are made in writing and can be made at any time of the day or night.
Your instructor will log into the Discussion area at least once a day and answer questions, make comments, and respond to comments by you and the other participants.
We encourage you to make 2-3 comments each day to maximize your learning and enjoyment of the course.