How It Works
Upon successful completion of the course, you will:
- Be able to recognize generational behaviors and interpret their meanings accurately,
- Be able to interpret the generational language of members of your own generation as well as that of your Gen Y students, (and potentially administrators and coworkers)
- Be able to adjust your own communication style and teaching strategies to be more effective with your students,
- Understand the societal forces that shape generational behaviors,
- Avoid/eliminate misunderstandings that lead to loss of learning and knowledge productivity,
- Be able to employ successful teaching techniques to enhance your students’ learning based on their generational learning styles.
- To foster an understanding among K-12 teachers of the different generations learning strategies and the differences in perception, expression, and interpretation of common situations in the classroom,
- To create a better understanding of generational characteristics influence how your Gen Y students learn and behave in the classroom,
- To understand the societal forces that shape each generational personality,
- To create an understanding of how different generations communicate and assign different meaning to the same content,
- To understand the core values of Generation Y and anticipate the emerging generation,
- To minimize generational miscommunication between you as a teacher and your students
- To provide concrete strategies for how to reach and teach Generation Y more effectively.
About Online Learning
Online learning is a fun, enjoyable and very productive way to learn. Millions of people are learning online each year. You will engage with the instructor and other participants. You will get to know your instructor and other participants. You may make friends. It's easy. It's fun.
How the Course Works
It is easy to participate in your online course. After you register, you will be given a web address to go to get into your online classroom. You will have a password and use your email address and password to gain access. Once inside the online classroom, here's what you can expect.
What You Will Do
For each Unit, you will:
- Read the print readings (about 20 pages a week)
- Have the option of accessing the online readings
- Listen to the audio presentation for the Unit and view the slides
- Have the option of taking a self-quiz to see how much you have learned
- Engage in written online discussion with your instructor and other participants
For best learning, you should make one or more comments at 2-3 different times each week.
The content (readings, audio lectures, slides) and self quizzes are accessible for the entire course, so you can work ahead, or go back and review again, at your convenience.
Participate When You Want
You can participate any time of day or evening. The online classroom is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are no live real-time requirements or meetings. You decide when you participate.
For the best learning, participants should log into the course on 2-3 different days of the week.
The Discussion for each Unit lasts one week. All comments are made in writing and can be made at any time of the day or night.
Your instructor will log into the Discussion area at least once a day and answer questions, make comments, and respond to comments by you and the other participants.
We encourage you to make 2-3 comments each week to maximize your learning and enjoyment of the course.